We've bought another boat

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: We've bought another boat

Postby Nick » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:35 am

Successful delivery to one of Mike's morings at Balvicar by Catherine and myself today. Wind up to 15 knots on the nose, not the 7 knots on the starboard quarter that was forecast, annoying jabble from Bach Island to the Sound of Insh. Come to think of it, the wall to wall sunshine was missing as well.

She's a lovely boat, but there are things to do and things to change. Current forestay arrangement renders the bow roller unusable, stern gland needs repacking or replacing with a Volvo seal, seacocks to replace, gas locker to build, and the wiring to fix. (So far I only know what two switches do - cabin light and autohelm)

And she's going to look like a little palace inside once we are finished.
- Nick 8)

spuddy
Master Mariner

Re: We've bought another boat

Postby spuddy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:12 pm

A fine shup indeed. Another long keeper then; you must have mastered the art of reversing via the Vega

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Re: We've done it too...

Postby pagoda » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 pm

We did the "new boat to us" route as well. Admittedly firmly in the AWB camp. Another Jeanneau. The French do good sailboats, thank goodness they get Yanmar-San to do the engines. The idea of a French designed engine in a boat makes me weak at the knees.

We did sail her back to the Clyde from Kiel - via Denmark/Sweden/Norway/Shetland/Fair Isle/Orkney and the Caley
Visited the trousers on the way south. Very quiet but decent ales :-)

Graeme

Return to “Shooting the breeze”