SC5616 - a disappointment

Forum for general cruising topics
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

SC5616 - a disappointment

Postby cpedw » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Last month I bought a copy of SC5616, the Ardnamurchan to Shiants lesiure folio (2nd edition). I was seriously disappointed when I got the the narrows in Loch Nevis. The chart stops there. No coverage of the eastern part of Loch Nevis past 5deg 36.86W. That's about 3 miles of loch uncharted.

It's especially annoying that the diagram on the front sheet (which you can see here ) seems to show coverage of all Loch Nevis and the index, sheet 27, shows a panel 5616.3C covering it.

After lengthy correspondence with UKHO, they admitted a mistake. They intended to leave it out but forgot to remove it from the diagrams (it was included in the first edition). They don't plan to restore it in the next edition due about new year. To quote Lynne Truss, "That is a disgrace."

If you'd like to let UKHO know your opinion, you can get in touch at customerservices@ukho.gov.uk​​

Derek

p.s. I plan to post this on Scuttlebutt in the hope of garnering further support; apols for the cross posting.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: SC5616 - a disappointment

Postby claymore » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Troublemaker :)
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Admiralty leisure charts are rubbish..

My boat came with a load covering the south coast, first time I'd seen one, was appalled at their crappyness.

The whole lot is going on fleabay.

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:30 pm

claymore wrote:Troublemaker :)

Well you'll know better than several on here how the arrival of the state pension (last Wednesday :D ) burdens one with the duty to keep these government departments in line. It's an uphill struggle at UKHO. Argyll council were a lot more amenable.

Derek

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Put like that - 'tis your duty!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:58 am

cpedw wrote: To quote Lynne Truss, "That is a disgrace."

I've just been corrected on TOP; Not Lynne (the punctuation expert) but Liz Truss (the government's cheese spokesman of the time). :oops:

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am

News from UKHO:

"You contacted us in June regarding ADMIRALTY Leisure Folio SC5616, and the missing panel 5616.3C Inner Loch Nevis.

You may be interested to know that a new edition is being published in February and the panel has been included within the next edition.

Have a lovely weekend.

UKHO Customer Services"

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 am

You're obviously a privileged soul - they've actually advised you when a new edition is to be published, something they have kept close to their chests in the past. As all NtM for previous editions are deleted when the new yin is published we would be well advised to download them now. I'm sure you all up-date your charts over the winter - don't you?
I wonder what happens to all the superseded editions loitering in chandlers across the country.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm

What is this updating of chart item you speak of?

Donald

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:39 pm

NtM = Notice to Mariners. Updates to charts published weekly (monthly?) by HM Hydrographers. Tells you when they do things like adding a red buoy and a cardinal to the Ferry Rocks, etc..
Usually done by the Third Officer.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:01 pm

The only magenta markings on my charts are red wine spills...

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 am

wully wrote:The only magenta markings on my charts are red wine spills...

I can't find any magenta markings on my 1979 charts, wine or ink.

May be some white wine...
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 am

Have you looked at the pdfs of updates for small craft folios? For 5611 and 5616 they are 20-odd pages of tedium, including significant stretches of crossings-out. I don't find winter that dull.

Does anyone know how to tell when there has been a change to the updates? The page https://www.admiralty.co.uk/maritime-safety-information/admiralty-notices-to-mariners?selectTab=Leisure where they live doesn't help me to spot a new version.

Derek

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:02 pm

If you really gave a **** you would download weekly and update your folio with a hideously expensive magenta pen. The fun bit is when you leave it a bit, start from the oldest change and then find later changes that delete the changes you've just made.
You have to decide whether changes matter - did the move of the Bono Rock buoy and the subsequent change to cardinals affect you? Do you sail at night in unfamiliar waters and rely on lights? The idea that rocks don't move is valid though Antares have shown they may not be where the Admiralty think they are. Navionics etc. have the "not to be used for navigation" warning for a good reason and it's not to protect you.
Of course, you could download Captain Otter's original charts from the National Library - if they were good enough for sailing ships then they are probably good enough for you and they show a wealth of tidal information not included on the latest offerings ( and they are free!).

Return to “Shooting the breeze”