Mistral is sold

Forum for general cruising topics
wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Mistral is sold

Postby wully » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 pm

claymore wrote:Minor crisis going on at the moment - scooshed intae Is. McCormaig, hopped nimbly up to deploy anchor. Feck all - just a clunk as the motor tripped the breaker. Windlass now languishin on a bench in Ardfern - in pieces an corroded.
Whoopie-do.

Wunnered why yer Fyne shup wiz oan the pontoon.

Splash the cash oan a new wann- or a gym membership and haul the thing up the auld fashioned way...

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Temporary repairs done and now working but with the recommendation that the motor is replaced over the winter.
Up Tuesday for about 8 days
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Old Salt

Postby wully » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Aww rite

Currently sitting in the Mish abusing their free wifi - thought Id better have a beer while I was here..

Plan on being back home for a pit stop about then to change over the gubbed jammers and maybe fit a water tank sender - it wide be a disaster tae run oot o sumthin tae put in the whusky.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:27 pm

I think we got identical Lofrans winders at about the same time John. Mine is (so far !) in fine trum. Did you bore holes in the silvery end cap at the bottom of the motor to allow any wetness to dribble away? I also made a rather ugly but reasonably effective canvas cover for the beast above decks.
Worst I've had is a burn-out of the contactor due to my own ineptitude.
Hope you get the spares you require to fix it.
I've used mine to get up the mast more often than anchoring, but it does get heavily used around lift-in/out days at the club and hasn't complained yet.
Best of luck.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi Bill
No, I didn't make a hole in the cap thingy but can see it would be a good thing to do - I think the problem is underuse so from here on I think I'll give it a wind each way whenever I can - with the chain off just to give it a spin.
The yard tell me it was quite badly corroded
I made a canvas cover for mine but clearly to no avail!
Good to hear from you - are you doing much?
Regards
Claymore

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Just back from Italy after a 'special' to mark 50 in chains and her 70th - Villa in Tuscany, magic.
Planning inner Clyde this year as I'm commode and should be around, however vaguely. Port Bannatyne will be base as Troon is a daysail away from everywhere and we can ferry home if the commode has to assume the position.
P.S. get them to check for corrosion at the stripper as well as (I assume) the brush carriers.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 am

Stripper? Commode? What are youse all on?

Actually we like to get out west in May or June in the long light nights and before the midgies and tourists arrive but the scottish excrement weather this year has persuaded us that we will cruise around the Clyde at this time. If we can get a forecast that shows the chance of a few days without strong winds and rain. A wee bit of sun would be a bonus. So we will look for Sahona in PB and anyone in Tarbert and maybe have a trip to Brodick or Campbelltown.

In July we have some commitments that we need to be home for and at the end of that month, the family want a wee cruise, so that will be a Clyde cruise as well. Then in August we may get the second summer. (I do hate when summer is on a Thursday in April).
Ken

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:21 am

In Lochaline
Great sail up here yesterday under Genoa - 6 hrs which is a PB from Dorus Mor.
Woken by the rain and it sounds breezy still.
Extended outlook suggests this weather until Sunday so that's probably going to alter plans a bit - we'll see.
Regards
Claymore

wully
Old Salt

Postby wully » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 pm

claymore wrote:Extended outlook suggests this weather until Sunday so that's probably going to alter plans a bit - we'll see.

Wully s weather routing service suggests getting alongside in Tobe for Friday then getting utterly leathered Friday night and spending all Saturday in yer pit getting over it.
Waking up fresh and ready to go for the arrival of good weather on Sunday.

The clever part is of course that Saturday will be totally lost to hangover and thus will not count as a day at all, never mind a day wasted kicking around Balamory.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 am

:D
Regards
Claymore

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:48 pm

claymore wrote:Minor crisis going on at the moment - scooshed intae Is. McCormaig, hopped nimbly up to deploy anchor. Feck all - just a clunk as the motor tripped the breaker. Windlass now languishin on a bench in Ardfern - in pieces an corroded.
Whoopie-do.

Apologies for delayed reply, but I have a couple of times found my windlass jambed with corrosion at the start of the season. Each time applying a kettleful of boiling water and some judicious poking with a wee screwdriver freed it.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”