CC2017

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

CC2017

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 am

Anyone about, Easter, May weekend or later in May?

Catherine and I are hoping to be out Easter weekend.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: CC2017

Postby aquaplane » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Plan A is to do what needs doing then get to Tayvallich for the crew to come up for Easter.

Plan B is to use the crew to do the delivery trip at Easter. Possibly through the canal if it looks poor for novice crew round the Mull.

Will be about with crew more May Day Bank Holiday week and Late May bank holiday, on my own at other times.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Plan A is pay for someone to finish the electrics after a previous contractor let me down half way through the job, to be completed by 20th April.
Plan B is to varnish inside of boat.
Plan C is to connect gas pipe to regulator, bubble tester, cleese valve.
Plan D is end of April shake down sail and celebrate end of refit (as if it ever is the end).

So, I'll be around 3rd week of April if anyone is passing by and on and off up to mid May. You'll be welcome on board for a drink and natter.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Avilion should be going in some time this week. (It was booked for 1 April, but I took advantage of the good weather spell to get a bit ahead. I've just realised I forgot to clean off the green marks under the transom: I'll claim it as biodiversity.) So with a bit of luck I'll get her rigged this weekend which would make an Easter jaunt distinctly possible.

Early May holiday weekend is also possible, but slightly constrained for me as I plan to celebrate a significant birthday at Inver, Loch Fyne, on the evening of Thursday 27, returning to Falkirk overnight, so earliest Craobh departure would probably be mid afternoon Friday. Late May holiday weekend is clear.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:55 pm

The Muss and I are around from 29th May for a week or so.
We had thought that Para was off on another of his Viking River Cruises and had got a pretty young thing enlisted in his place. However, it seems the auld twat wants to join us - how do we break this to the fragrant flossie?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

bilbo
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Cutlass27

Postby bilbo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:52 pm

how do we break this to the fragrant flossie?

I've heard Para ca'ed a few things in my time, but that's a new pejorative.... :tiphat:

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Slight setback to my plans. I discovered at the weekend that my main halyard (wire) wouldn't move. The problem with a fractional rig is that only the main halyard and the topping lift go to the masthead. That would mean going up the topping lift with no independent second rope as safety backup - which I'm not happy with. The yard are equally unhappy with the idea, and propose to look at it by tying the boat alongside the launching jetty and hoisting a guy from the yard crane to investigate - sometime this week, hopefully.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Davey
Would that be a Guy they hoist, or a Sheet?
Regards
Claymore

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 pm

DaveS wrote:Slight setback to my plans. I discovered at the weekend that my main halyard (wire) wouldn't move.

It sounds as the wire has jumped off the sheave, and is jammed along side it.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm

ash wrote:
DaveS wrote:Slight setback to my plans. I discovered at the weekend that my main halyard (wire) wouldn't move.

Ash

Hopefully so, and fairly easy to fix with access to the masthead.

A couple of months ago, with the mast down, I replaced the steaming light with one incorporating a deck light, and tried to replace the cable with a 3 core one, but the old cable was immovable. I've got round that by fitted diodes to the lights and have a double pole relay which I'll use to reverse the voltage so the correct light can be selected, but there's a nagging worry that the jammed cable and jammed halyard might be related rather than coincidental.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:54 pm

DaveS wrote:
ash wrote:

Ash

Hopefully so, and fairly easy to fix with access to the masthead.

A couple of months ago, with the mast down, I replaced the steaming light with one incorporating a deck light, and tried to replace the cable with a 3 core one, but the old cable was immovable. I've got round that by fitted diodes to the lights and have a double pole relay which I'll use to reverse the voltage so the correct light can be selected, but there's a nagging worry that the jammed cable and jammed halyard might be related rather than coincidental.

That's bound to be the case Davey - mast down and a complete sort out I think :(
Regards
Claymore

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Och Claysie, yer just a regular ray of sunshine.

Dave, is the cabling not in a separate conduit?

Ardfern has a crane they can put a rigger up to the masthead with, might be a simple fix..

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 pm

Wullyum - yer optimism kens nae boons but Wee Davey hasnae enjoyed a decent setback fer years - mast doon an nae mustake, ah'll be bound
Regards
Claymore

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Well On arrival at the boat on Friday I found that nothing had been done. Hardly surprising since at this time of year it's pretty busy. I negotiated a slot first thing Saturday, and took the boat over to the launching pontoon. The crane arrived and a young lad was hoisted to the masthead. No problem there so the halyard was stuck somewhere inside the mast. Bollox! Then he said "disconnect your starboard lower shroud". Eh? But I did, he wiggled the T-terminal about, and the halyard was free. Now either he noticed that the port and starboard shrouds were different distances from the mast or he can see through aluminium. Either way, well spotted. Boat is now rigged and ready to go.

Nick, are you still planning on a jaunt next weekend and wish company?

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 pm

claymore wrote:Wullyum - yer optimism kens nae boons but Wee Davey hasnae enjoyed a decent setback fer years - mast doon an nae mustake, ah'll be bound

Doom merchant...... whit are ye bound to?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”