Rugby

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Rugby

Postby marisca » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:49 pm

I am almost loath to mention it but Scotland actually won a rugby match today. It was a somewhat tense 2nd half. Claymore's friend was noted giving "Flower of Scotland" laldy at the start.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Rugby

Postby Aja » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:20 am

Didn't understand why they went for the three points from the last penalty. They were in a good position to at least attempt a try. Four tries would have given them another bonus point. Scotland always needs all the points possible.

Donald

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:13 am

I believe that a couple of weeks ago, Finn Russell was criticized for going for a positional kick to allow a try-scoring chance. It was intercepted by the opposition and nearly allowed them to score.

Greg Laidlaw shrewdly took his time over the kick at goal so that there would be no chance of the Irish running it back as the ball would go dead after the clock had turned red. Better win the match and drop 1 bonus point than lose it and drop 2. (They would have got 1 bonus losing point even if the Irish had scored a converted try.)
Ken

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am

Ma wee friend does get some airtime does she not?
Great result and given the history, I think Laidlaw was absolutely correct in using up the time and then slotting the kick. With around 2 and a half minutes to go I was thinking it was won but it only needed the ball to get into Irish hands once more and that might have been reversed.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Shooting the breeze”