Moody 346 "Kylora"

Forum for general cruising topics
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Moody 346 "Kylora"

Postby ash » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Mrs Ash and I are pleased to say that we are in the final stages of buying another boat., Kylora, a 1987 Moody 346 on brokerage at Euroyachts Largs.

The process has been a bit of a slow burn. We had almost 4 weeks on board our Vega, Mistral, for our summer holiday, sailing in company with another couple who have a Westerly Duo 29. We had quite a few wet days and felt a bit envious when our boat was full of wet clothes.

We stayed on board at Kip during the boat show in October. We were there for the social life, but did have a look at some of the boats for sale. We were very taken with the accommodation layout of the 2 examples of Moody 346 which were for sale there.

The following weekend, we had a look over 3 examples which were for sale at Largs. All 5 examples had something which made us hesitate, price, specification, or presentation, and in any case I was to be working abroad for virtually the whole on November so we decided to leave things and if fate decreed that any were still available in December then we would think again.

We paid our deposit on Kylora just before Christmas, but it was well into January before we had her surveyed because of holidays, and high winds.

Kylora has some “ nice to have “ toys which I would be unlikely to buy new. She transmits AIS, but has a “ stealth “ button for the times when we might make a muck of things.

It’s going to be another learning curve, wheel steering, prop wash off the rudder, good steerage in reverse. At least the centre cockpit means that the bit in front of you doesn’t look too long.

It was only when I started googling 346 that I realised that Aja was a sister ship. Stand by for lots of questions, only kidding, I’ve joined the MOA and that seems to be a good source of information.

Our first boat was a Leisure 17 with 4500 examples built, the next an Albin Vega with 3450 built so it will feel strange to have an example of only 254. Despite the low number, I know of another 2 at Kip, in addition to the 5 examples for sale, and Aja. I believe that Kip were agents, so I suppose that there will a few around the Clyde, I counted 15 in the hand written Princess records.

We had already decided to move to a different berth for next season as we are now using the boat differently since Mrs Ash retired. We have been prepared to pay the premium cost for a step aboard berth only 40 minutes from the house, but will now be spending longer chunks of time aboard so are happy to drive further to get lower berthing costs. An extra 2.5 metres to pay for makes a cheaper berth even more of a priority. We are not ready for a swinging mooring yet, so hope to get a berth in Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne.

Does anyone know any history of Kylora? I believe that she spent her first few years at Kip as a skippered charter. She went to Ireland in 2011. The owners who are selling bought her in 2013, and I can find a couple of results in two handed races, but I haven’t found any where she competed in the same races as either Marisca, Contender, or Cherry Ripe.

We now need to sell Mistral, hopefully before her paid berth in Kip runs out on 31 March, else we will be looking for cheap berthing for her too.

Keep an eye out for us, and give us a ping on our mmsi number.

Cheers

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Moody 346 "Kylora"

Postby aquaplane » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Happy new boat.

Don't worry about getting a berth in Tarbert, they will have anyone, I know this :)
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Wishing Fair Winds for yourselves and "Kylora"!

And good luck with selling "Mistral".

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Well. What can I say.
To be honest the 346 will not set the heather on fire but you will always feel 100% safe on board.
You are quite correct in saying that there were only 254 346's built but the 34 is exactly the same boat less 6" of sugarscoop.
The owner's forum is a mine of info and technical detail well worth the £20 per year that others elsewhere moan about.
Hope everything goes well with the sale of the Vega. Any questions just give me a pm.
Fair winds

Donald
Aja

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Its all here - bit of step up from the Vega! Well done you.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-content/ ... ars-later/
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Happy new boat Ash!

All the nicest folk own a Moody....

I fully agree that the MOA joining fee is money well spent, you can be sure someone on there has already done what you plan to do and can save you a lot of grief.
Don't ask me how I know.

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:35 am

aquaplane wrote:Happy new boat.

Don't worry about getting a berth in Tarbert, they will have anyone, I know this :)
I didn’t get a reply to my enquiry email, so we took a run up there on Saturday in the car. I said that you and I knew each other, and so they then said that we would be most welcome to a berth on the fingers just to seaward of the ramp ( can’t find a marina plan )

We took the ferry over to Portavadie, and made some enquiries there about lift outs, and then drove home from there.

Telo wrote:Wishing Fair Winds for yourselves and "Kylora"!

And good luck with selling "Mistral".
Thanks

Aja wrote:Well. What can I say.
To be honest the 346 will not set the heather on fire but you will always feel 100% safe on board.
You are quite correct in saying that there were only 254 346's built but the 34 is exactly the same boat less 6" of sugarscoop.
The owner's forum is a mine of info and technical detail well worth the £20 per year that others elsewhere moan about.
Hope everything goes well with the sale of the Vega. Any questions just give me a pm.
Fair winds

Donald
Aja
That’s all good to hear. It was the accommodation which sold her to Mrs Ash. If I get a bit more speed because of the extra length without frightening the crew, then that should be fine too. I haven’t read any sailing reviews, but I believe that an early one was critical of her inability to track straight without constant attention, but not sure if it was valid. I think that there was a suggestion that the mast wasn’t set up correctly on the test boat.

claymore wrote:Its all here - bit of step up from the Vega! Well done you.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-content/ ... ars-later/
I think that your spell chequer has let you astray !! Even the Moody is a bit of a stretch up from the pontoon, fender step required I think !

wully wrote:Happy new boat Ash!

All the nicest folk own a Moody....

I fully agree that the MOA joining fee is money well spent, you can be sure someone on there has already done what you plan to do and can save you a lot of grief.
Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks. Your profile doesn’t give much away, and I’m not very good at photo recognition, but I take it that you have just moved from a Moody to another one. Bigger than mine? I think?

Cheers everyone.
Got the keys today, Sunday, so if I can arrange insurance cover, we hope to sail her to Kip and then lift her out to do the anodes and antifouling. I would rather have waited for warmer weather, but work is ramping up from March onwards.

Cheers

Ash

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Ash,

I've just replaced an Eclipse 33 with a Moody 36..I'll miss the enclosed steering position for sure.

We looked at 346's , 35's , 36's , 376's and the 38.

And yes, I do like the Moody boats...

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 am

Yer a tough wee wully, wully. Ye'll be fine ootside. But if you're not ye can always get yer soggy airse ontae ma boatie fer a warm.
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 pm

claymore wrote:Yer a tough wee wully, wully. Ye'll be fine ootside. But if you're not ye can always get yer soggy airse ontae ma boatie fer a warm.

Awfae guid 'o ye tae offer - is the drinks locker sufficiently robust per chance?

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Well done you pair, keeping the name?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:09 pm

wully wrote:
claymore wrote:Yer a tough wee wully, wully. Ye'll be fine ootside. But if you're not ye can always get yer soggy airse ontae ma boatie fer a warm.

Awfae guid 'o ye tae offer - is the drinks locker sufficiently robust per chance?

A bit doon jes now but its in hand.....
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:55 pm

sahona wrote:Well done you pair, keeping the name?

I'll need to keep the same name, far too stupid to remember anithir een..

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:02 pm

I liked one of the 346 Moodys that we saw last year on our hunt for a replacement for Wight Dawn. They look a lot sleeker than the Seahawk that we eventually bought. It all came down to internal space and asking price in the end.
Ken

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:33 pm

sahona wrote:Well done you pair, keeping the name?

I think that we will. I can’t think of a better one. Keeping the name means that people might remember her history.

Bodach na mara wrote:I liked one of the 346 Moodys that we saw last year on our hunt for a replacement for Wight Dawn. They look a lot sleeker than the Seahawk that we eventually bought. It all came down to internal space and asking price in the end.

I confess that we didn’t look at other builders with similar layouts. Our friend’s who sail a Konsort Duo 29 have the Westerly History book, I’ll have a look at the entry for the Seahawk. Hopefully we will come across you during the season. I received your PM, I’ll reply when I get a minute.

We got the insurance sorted on Monday, and motored her up to Kip on Tuesday. Tried a few spins off the Power Station Jetty to get a feel for her handling. Hopefully she will be lifted out next week if Kip can persuade some owners to launch and free up some space.

Just heard back up from Tarbert today, so we hope to be berthed there from the beginning of March.

I thought that we were missing a chunk of Kylora’s history, but we now have copies of all her Bills of Sale, and find that the first owner kept her until October 2010.

I also have a photocopy of the original invoice from Kip Marina.

How much would a £1 in December 1987 be worth today?

Cheers

Ash

Return to “Shooting the breeze”