Good news and not-so-good news

Forum for general cruising topics
Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Good news and not-so-good news

Postby Bodach na mara » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:12 am

First the good news. The lovely sunset this afternoon was the earliest sunset this winter. So the afternoons start getting longer tomorrow. Not by a lot, but by the shortest day (on Wednesday next week) the sun will set over one minute later. The bad news is that it rises about 2 minutes later and the latest sunrise is not till the end of December, around the 28th. However by that time, sunset gets later by over a minute per day although as the papers report it to the nearest minute, sometimes it gets later by 1 minute and sometimes by 2.

Now the really bad news is that temperatures lag behind the length of day by about six weeks so the coldest period (statistically) is mid-February.

Looking on the bright side, we are only three and a half months away from changing the clocks forward and maybe one good thing to come out of Brexit would be that we could come out of this Eurolunacy of deferring the change until the last weekend in March. North America changes it three weeks earlier and I think that the logical time is the last Sunday in February.
Ken

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: Good news and not-so-good news

Postby cpedw » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:40 am

The logical time is Never.
What is the point of moving the hands around on a clock face (other than by clockwork) when all you're doing is to change the name for a particular state of daylight.
Derek

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:40 pm

As you say Derek, the logical time is never and I was one of the odd people who actually liked the "experiment" tried out by Harold Wilson's government in the 60's where the clock moved forward at the end of February and did not move back for about 3 years. There was a lot of moaning about kids having to go to school in the dark and farmers milking cows before dawn. As if that was not normal at that time of year anyway. The fact that the number of accidents on the roads was lower than before went almost unnoticed. I was doing a major alteration of an old 6-metre at the time and loved being able to get away from my job as a teacher and get a few hours of work in before I went home for tea.

Mind you, I think that controlling the working day by artificially moving noon is daft. We could all just get up earlier. The artificiality of it all hit me when we called in at Cadiz on a cruise ship in October. Despite being several degrees west of the most westerly point of the UK and actually being so far west that their best time zone would be UTC - 1, they use European time, which at that time was UTC + 2. Even by 8am there was only a glimmer of light. The neighbouring country (Portugal) uses London time, but time zones are often daft things.
Ken

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:05 am

Bodach na mara wrote: The artificiality of it all hit me when we called in at Cadiz on a cruise ship in October. Despite being several degrees west of the most westerly point of the UK and actually being so far west that their best time zone would be UTC - 1, they use European time, which at that time was UTC + 2. Even by 8am there was only a glimmer of light. The neighbouring country (Portugal) uses London time, but time zones are often daft things.

Apparently Spain used GMT until 1942, when Franco moved it to Central European Time to align with Nazi Germany. They have considered changing back. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24294157

Return to “Shooting the breeze”