Forum for general cruising topics
iain ross
Midshipman

Postby iain ross » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:49 am

Hi all, on this sparsely populated web forum. Scale isn't everything.

I fly a microlight but was at sea for umpteen years (and for my sins a class 1 marine engineer) and find, from time to time, an urge to set upon the water. I've done a little motor cruising in hired / friends boats but have no experience of yachting though have friends who would teach me the basics (though I'm aware of the difficulties encumbent in this approach!)

I'm tempted by a yacht that's available to me by straight swap for my lovely wee plane and wonder if anyone out there knows of the type / suitability for family cruises (meaning me and my one or two children aged 5 and 8 - my wife's already bailed out of this scheme!) and a suitable / reasonably priced training package that would get me to a degree of competence suitable for weekending around the scottish east coast / firth of forth.

The yacht's a Gib Sea 26' x 8'10", 4 berth fin keel racing model, conditions apparently very good and looks tidy, though I will have it inspected by those more knowledgeable in this field than I. Is there a market for this kind of vessel ?

Storage is an issue - I'm a busy guy (who isn't?) and have only limited opportunity to play with it. Anyone know of any good areas for a mooring in the western Forth ? Are there commercial moorings at reasonable cost ?
Is there a problem with laying your own mooring ?

ps. Nick - not wishing you to get a big head, but your site was one of those that got me into flying and imagine my surprise when I found you were also into this! I guess that the frustrations of flying (weather, poncy regulation, expense, time required vs. time in the air etc.,etc) has got the better of me just now but I would be sad to leave it.

Sorry for the long post, guys but please feel free to answer in part or full or whatever.
Iain

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Newbie

Postby Telo » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:20 pm

iain ross wrote:suitable for weekending around the scottish east coast / firth of forth.... The yacht's a Gib Sea 26' x 8'10", 4 berth fin keel racing model?.
Trouble is the ports are all a bit shallow or drying - bilge keelers seem more popular on the Forth. West really is best.

iain ross wrote:Anyone know of any good areas for a mooring in the western Forth ?.
You could try the new Stirling Marina:

Return to “Shooting the breeze”