Being Retired

Forum for general cruising topics
Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Being Retired

Postby Aja » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Is there anything better than a Sunday night meal in the Colintraive Hotel then back to the boat for cheese and biscuits and coffee with the heating on. Not a cloud in the sky and temperature dropping quickly.
Donald

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Being Retired

Postby mm5aho » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:51 am

I'm still at that stage where I can't quite imagine what I'd do if retiring, but you are fast removing that impediment!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:27 am

You need to indulge in a few thoughts for 'The Poor People' - give them a kindly thought for paying their taxes and supporting you.
Spare the odd thought for work colleagues still engaged in their travails - its amazing how quickly you forget them.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:14 pm

claymore wrote:You need to indulge in a few thoughts for 'The Poor People' - give them a kindly thought for paying their taxes and supporting you.
Spare the odd thought for work colleagues still engaged in their travails - its amazing how quickly you forget them.

I'm still working, having gone back after retiring for a year, but you'll have forgotten all about me :-(

Still, I'm cheered by the fact that none of the little tax I currently pay is going to support pension fuelled racy lifestyles of the dissolute work shy auld fowk weaving between the various watering holes of points west and the utter hemhorroids.

Unless they are Danish auld yotties jakeys - and you don't count

:mrgreen:

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:00 pm

mm5aho wrote:I'm still at that stage where I can't quite imagine what I'd do if retiring, but you are fast removing that impediment!

Put simply you run out of time to do everything you have planned. I'm totally amazed at how fast the days are going. Today we got up, tidied the boat a bit - I cleaned around the waterline then had a coffee then cleaned the engine compartment out of odds and sods; coffee then it was lunch time - had that sitting out in glorious sunshine, then back to the mooring, ashore had chat with parents before heading home and tea the out to choir practice....

....and that's a quite typical day. Tomorrow might go round and wind up the grandkids :D

Donald

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:35 am

I came to the boat in June and have been home for two separate weeks since.

Done about 6/7 weeks sailing and loads of fettling.

I suppose it will have to end some time but there is no rush.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:41 pm

wully wrote:
claymore wrote:You need to indulge in a few thoughts for 'The Poor People' - give them a kindly thought for paying their taxes and supporting you.

I'm still working, having gone back after retiring for a year, but you'll have forgotten all about me :-(

Still, I'm cheered by the fact that none of the little tax I currently pay is going to support pension fuelled racy lifestyles of the dissolute work shy auld fowk weaving between the various watering holes of points west and the utter hemhorroids.

Unless they are Danish auld yotties jakeys - and you don't count

Cheeky young beggar....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:12 pm

aquaplane wrote:I came to the boat in June and have been home for two separate weeks since.

I reckon from May till now I've had about two weeks in my own bed with the prospect of a wee sail up from Dublin to the Clyde and maybe a couple of weeks out in Greece with friends still to come. The downside is that to date we've only done about 600 miles in Aja which is well down on normal years. Sheena and I had imagined that we would spend the summer on Aja and just jink about but it seems that the draw to sail with others is too strong!

Donald

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Aja wrote:
aquaplane wrote:I came to the boat in June and have been home for two separate weeks since.

I reckon from May till now I've had about two weeks in my own bed with the prospect of a wee sail up from Dublin to the Clyde and maybe a couple of weeks out in Greece with friends still to come. The downside is that to date we've only done about 600 miles in Aja which is well down on normal years. Sheena and I had imagined that we would spend the summer on Aja and just jink about but it seems that the draw to sail with others is too strong!

Donald

Spare a though for those sailing widows left behind going to work, keeping the home fire burning and having various step-children (who can't move out) to live with.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Return to “Shooting the breeze”