Fred's moving his boats

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Fred's moving his boats

Postby marisca » Tue May 12, 2020 7:52 pm

There were 4 Fred Olsen cruise ships parked off Port Seton yesterday. Down to 2 today. They surely can't have paying customers, can they?

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: Fred's moving his boats

Postby cpedw » Wed May 13, 2020 9:01 am

Perhaps they are preparing for the rush of traffic between UK and Ireland and France.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed May 13, 2020 9:59 am

The Boudicca visited Rosyth yesterday, went out past the Isle of May, footled around and is now back anchored off Port Seton. That only leaves one missing - the Braemar which turned off its AIS 2 days ago. I suppose one of my mandatory 2 stints of exercise (is Nicola trying to kill us?) could be a cycle down the coast and count them - a nice reach on the way out but a beat to windward on the return, I might take the velo with the tree-climbing gears rather than the yin with a corncob.

Corona
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody S31

Postby Corona » Wed May 13, 2020 7:14 pm

I had read on another boating forum that shipping lines can no longer just abandon their crew wherever the ship is but have to continue employment or repatriate. It was suggested that the cheapest way to do that in current conditions is to send them home by sea and that with little hope of business restarting that was what they are starting to do. So perhaps Fred is sending one of his boats to Singapore?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”