Boat share in the Canaries

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Boat share in the Canaries

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Boris and brexit have somewhat knocked our retirement plans out of joint.

Two and a half years ago, when no-one really believed a hard brexit could ever happen, we bought an old Morgan Giles 30 to do up and sail to the Canaries, where we intended to keep her and use her as a Winter escape with possible Summer cruises to Madeira and the Azores.

Of course, when we made these plans we were free to waft around the EU as we wished. It has gradually been brought home that this is no longer the case and our residence in the Canaries and other European islands will be limited to 90 days in any 180, or 6 months a year tops.

So - it would make perfect sense to share the boat with another person or couple with the same vision, enabling us both to spend up to six months a year on board Avy-J either enjoying her as a floating holiday cottage or cruising the Canaries and further afield.

The boat has had a huge amount of time and attention lavished on her over the last two years, and we would be looking for £5,000 non-negotiable for a half share. Of course, the boat is not in the Canaries yet - we plan to deliver her later this year - so we would be happy to take half now and half on arrival in San Sebastian de la Gomera, our planned base for the boat. Help with the delivery is also a possibility if you are interested.

All ongoing costs would be split 50/50, but it is not anticipated these would be arduous. Marina fees are likely to be in the region of E3,000 a year maximum (so E1500 each) , probably a bit less depending on cruising away from La Gomera to other islands. La Palma, Tenerife and el Hierro are all a (longish) daysail away.The boat is unlikely to require any major work for at least a year or two once she is there, but she will be insured 3rd party only, so if you break it you pay for it.

SOME INFO ABOUT THE BOAT

Summary of recent refit work: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13081

Sails include new cruising chute and storm jib, nearly new main with 3 reefs and nearly new roller furling genoa. Navik windvane fitted. AIS transponder. New gas locker. Ocean spec liferaft (will need servicing in just over a year, can be serviced in Las Palmas)

AN ACCOUNT OF A PREVIOUS TRIP I MADE TO THE CANARIES ON AN ALBIN VEGA (smaller boat!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairwinds-East ... 083P88D77/
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Boat share in the Canaries

Postby claymore » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 am

I think you should try to get her advertised on Airb'n'b
Wully would be keen to be flown out there on change-over days just to giver her a spruce. His rates are not unreasonable and on the odd day when he was busy doing a bit of well-digging in downtown Ardfern, I could be sent out in his place....?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 am

Wully don’t fly no more :D

If Nick would agree to transport me out and back by reasonable standard cruise liner / botulism factory then I may consider this offer of gainful employment.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 pm

In other good news, i got hold of the guy who sold the boat to the sea cadets today and he confirmed that he had installed new standing rigging. So it is a wee bit under ten years old and has done less than 200 miles.

So that's one worry less. We are off on 1st August, but in the meantime there are some miles to be put in on Fairwinds.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”