welcome anchorages

Forum for general cruising topics
Burst Boiler
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Bavaria

welcome anchorages

Postby Burst Boiler » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 am

Heard a rumour about their printer being bought out or summat and it may be no more. Anyone have any info?

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: welcome anchorages

Postby wully » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:34 pm

‘Welcome Anchorages “ doesn’t really list any anchorage’s...

It’s just marketing fluff for marinas.

Burst Boiler
Able Seaman

Postby Burst Boiler » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:50 am

Agree that its mis-named, but still handy occasionally if things have changed or new moorings in etc since last visit.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:04 pm

I used to look on it as a useful, annually updated, compliment to the CCC pilots which can be out of date by the time I feel like replacing them.

After falling foul of two years out of date info in WA when visiting Derry last year I had to revise my opinion.

A couple of anchorages are now included in WA but if I had to choose I would go for the CCC books no question.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:22 pm

You know that CCC sailing directions updates are available free on line. You can just look on the CCC website, and get the latest updates. Those are available until a new edition is printed (typically about 5 year intervals), and then it starts again. If its a new chartlet, you can print out the new one and stick it into your copy.
Those updates rely on sailors sending in new or changed information. Some of this parish are frequent contributors, and the editorial team (of which I'm one) are thankful for firsthand reports of new rocks discovered, moorings that are new, or now non-existent, facilities added or removed from places and all that sort of stuff.

And all this is also now available in e-books for the likes of Kindle etc.

For info... revisions of sailing directions on the go just now include : Clyde, Northern Isles, and Kintyre to Arndamurchan. These should be printed in time for use in 2020, with last info going in to them late this year.

On Welcome Anchorages - perhaps it would be better named welcome marinas? It apparently will be continued, it's Yachting Life that has ceased. The new owners see WA as taking less production time - once a year- and profitable, so worth continuing.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Burst Boiler
Able Seaman

Postby Burst Boiler » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reminder about updates to CCC pilot books being available online. I had a quick look out of interest - neither CCC nor WA mentions the new moorings off the pub at Ardentinny. However, for Inverary, WA does have them but CCC does not. I would without hesitation place far more trust in what's in the CCC guides because they are excellent and very professionally put together, while WA can have information woefully out of date. However, on the odd occasion such as Inverary, WA is useful. I think they really have different uses and compliment each other - one is a free, easy to access but rough guide for generally musing about potential destinations useful for less experienced sailors or visitors to the area who prefer pontoons or mooring buoys, the other is for much more detailed passage planning including info on anchoring. There's a place for both. I do wish WA put a bit more effort into updating their old info though.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:56 am

. . . now if only there was a website where members kept all this info up to date and freely available . . .
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 pm

That'll never happen.... :shake:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Burst Boiler
Able Seaman

Postby Burst Boiler » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:31 pm

Maer fun tae moan aboot how stuff's no perfict.

In ma defence, I did post aboot inverary moorings in mid August.

Point of ordure - whit goes in "passages and places" and whit in "around the Scottish coast"?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:50 pm

Burst Boiler wrote:Maer fun tae moan aboot how stuff's no perfict.

In ma defence, I did post aboot inverary moorings in mid August.

Point of ordure - whit goes in "passages and places" and whit in "around the Scottish coast"?

I've always thought of 'passages and places' as somewhere one can prattle oan about terrible things that were about to befall the author and but for the gift of exceptional bravery and seamanship - they wid post nae mair. A kind of a happy ending sort of a place, rather than an invitation to a wake.

Around the coast seems to be about fairmers mairkets, vegan cafes and kaylees and the like.
hope that helps
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Shooting the breeze”