Search found 200 matches

by Windfinder
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:47 pm
Forum: The Weatherman
Topic: Learning Channel Launches at Weatherweb.TV
Replies: 9
Views: 4264

Re: Learning Channel Launches at Weatherweb.TV

Really like the 'learning area' as does Mrs Windfinder who is a Geog Teacher. (I assume it will be ok for her to show the kids without a Copyright issue?) I'd like to see some 'real-world' examples of 'If you see this in the Sky you're going to get this weather on the way' and 'which side of the clo...
by Windfinder
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Nationalise the RNLI?
Replies: 47
Views: 10372

Julian wrote:The ethos of a local boat manned by local seafarers to rescue their mates if they get in trouble seems to be disappearing


Agree & this is tragic.

In many areas a symptom of a dormant fishing industry in the UK; also tragic.
by Windfinder
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Have you noticed how the English ....
Replies: 9
Views: 3459

Re: Have you noticed how the English ....

BigNick wrote:..... are cheering for Andy Murray at Wimbledon because he is British?

Good eh!


I fear that by tomorrow night, we (the English master-race) will be referring to him as Scottish once more!
by Windfinder
Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:59 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Position.
Replies: 31
Views: 6855

claymore wrote: I would press the big red button.


Seems an odd thing to do in a crisis but can you tell me where it is? Mrs Windfinder's been nagging me for ages to find her red button.

Maybe a 3 dec place GPS lat and long would help?
by Windfinder
Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:54 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Lochranza Pontoons Open.
Replies: 33
Views: 9975

The newspaper article makes things a lot clearer.
by Windfinder
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:29 am
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Position.
Replies: 31
Views: 6855

Olivepage wrote:A CQR always gives way to a Bruce


Surely the Bruce should give way to the CQR, since as everyone knows the CQR will be firmly set whereas the Bruce will be scraping along the sea bed allowing it free movement to avoid other anchors.
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:34 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Nationalise the RNLI?
Replies: 47
Views: 10372

Re: Why?

Surely if the RNLI funding were less than secure that would be an argument *for* making them state funded? your initial post might have left the impression that the RNLI launches its boats down a slip strewn with fivers; a mistaken impression which i thought could do with correction ... Well frankl...
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Position.
Replies: 31
Views: 6855

Re: Position.

Another failure! :( I'll never get a job picking topics for Gerry Springer. The comment on TOP that made me howl with Laughter was the guy who said that the Lat/Long was required for the Helicopter - as though the CG and Chooper crew *between them* couldn't work out a Lat and Long from a distance an...
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:38 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Lochranza Pontoons Open.
Replies: 33
Views: 9975

I meant for the dinghy. I can't imagine a reason for the 'mother-ship' coming in other than to drop/pickup crew, as there's nothing to plug in to..... Sorry, I appreciate you meant the Dinghy. I'm still flumoxed. I guess they must have asked round and found that enough people felt that a dinghy pon...
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:45 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: What charts north of Ardnamurchan?
Replies: 12
Views: 4325

Re: SYFTS

Ah yes, I see it now. I'm not too good with FLAs. :) ;-) You're from Croabh? We sailed out of Croabh a few years back. We asked the waitress in the Lord of The Isles how old the place was and she told us all the buildings in the village were recent. (1980s) The war memorial suggests there was a set...
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:03 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Nationalise the RNLI?
Replies: 47
Views: 10372

Re: Why?

ParaHandy wrote:
Nick wrote:.They are the richest charity in the UK and doing just fine.

the only comment abt windy's post is that the funding of the RNLI is not that secure.


Surely if the RNLI funding were less than secure that would be an argument *for* making them state funded?
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:51 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Position.
Replies: 31
Views: 6855

Position.

Following my failure to fuel the slightest controversy with the RNLI thread I'm going to have another crack! Elsewhere there is a discussion going about the RTIR Mayday, where a vessel gave its position relative to St Cats lighthouse. The CG insisted on a Lat and Long. Personally, I always find it e...
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:19 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: What charts north of Ardnamurchan?
Replies: 12
Views: 4325

Re: SYFTS

DaveS wrote:? :?


"smeggy yotties from the South" it was there if you looked!
by Windfinder
Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:34 am
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: What charts north of Ardnamurchan?
Replies: 12
Views: 4325

Re: 1974 CCC blue book

in our fantastic local charity book shop last weekend I found that very book - I did not even know it existed (shows what I know) have really enjoyed my reading so far of this book, really well written and like you say a lot has not changed - a whole load of new marinas though where there used to b...
by Windfinder
Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:12 pm
Forum: Shooting the breeze
Topic: Nationalise the RNLI?
Replies: 47
Views: 10372

Re: Nationalise the RNLI?

The case for state funding would be: 'The state pay for mountain rescue and and air sea rescue, so why not sea-sea rescue?'.

All we need now is for someone to come along and make it, otherwise the thread's going to fizzle out!

Go to advanced search